Saturday, October 4, 2014

Out now, the physical, book: ’A Landscape Blossoms Within Me’ (Eeva Kilpi, translated poems).

Highly recommended - well I would say that, wouldn’t I?

But wearing the translator’s invisibility cloak I can say, it’s absolutely fabulous! Or as Jen Hadfield says (thanks Jen!), ’urgent, honest, compulsive, funny – poems I’d send to friends who say they don’t like poetry.’

I've lived with these poems for years now, and still laugh with them, weep with them, and marvel at them. Here is one that caught my eye again this morning when I was leafing through the book:

At three o'clock in the afternoon
we always die a little
               if we aren't loved.
At three o'clock in the afternoon
those who long for love float away
and the wind blows through them.
The lucky ones cling to each other
till the moment passes
and space lets them fall to earth.
At that same hour, in the early morning,
many die
because they no longer have the strength to kiss.
Their lips become loosened from each other.
The sun rises.

 You can buy the book direct from Arc Publishing, and in due course no doubt from the usual channels. Here is the link:
http://www.arcpublications.co.uk/books/eeva-kilpi-a-landscape-blossoms-within-me-517. 

No comments:

Post a Comment